23 June 2008

V Revisited: V is for Variety

While running through alphabet-inspired posts, I keep stumbling over a variety of ideas for new material, but put them on the back burner of my mind since they lack the appropriate letter that would propel them to stardom. The back burner of my mind is getting a bit cluttered, to say the least. So in an effort to do some light housekeeping, I shall perform a clean sweep, hopefully ending this cursed bout of writer's block.

Stealing Respectfully borrowing from a dear blogger friend's routine theme, I am hereby submitting some random thoughts:

• I was on my way to finding a parking spot for my car while I spent an afternoon on the beach, when I stopped at Jack-in-the-Box to get a nice frosty cold beverage. It got me to thinking about drinking straws. How brilliant is the drinking straw? Who figured out that instead of lifting a big heavy cup to your lips to drink, you could leave it sittign on the table, stick a tube into the liquid and sip it with as little effort as possible? And the crazy straw? Genius. I can remember as a child how much more enticing it was to drink a glass of milk when I got to watch it make its curly journey to my mouth. I'll bet a mom with a stubborn toddler invented that one. Some Cliff Claven trivia for you: The straw was invented in 1888. Learn something new every day, don't you?

• Southern California has been in the throes of a heat wave for the better part of a week. It's rather remarkable how different the world is when it's hot. For example, why does the rising temperature bring out the worst in people? I find my patience evaporates quickly, people's tempers boil over, not even allowing time to stew. Everywhere I turn, I witness heated arguments. Okay, I'm done with the puns. ... Hot-heads abound. (Okay, I'm done for real now.) I live on the second floor of a west-facing apartment building. For those of you who are directionally challenged, this means my living room gets ALL the afternoon sun. And coming home from work in the early evening is the earthly equivalent to vacationing in one of the circles of hell from Dante's Inferno. This past weekend, I seriously considered selling my computer to buy an air conditioner.

• When your boss is out of the office for a few days, do you find yourself slacking off? Not even a tiny bit? I had some relaxing days at work last week while my boss was vacationing on her ranch. It felt like a tiny vacation of my own, in a way. But not really. I mean, I'm still the one sitting on my ass in front of a computer, right?

• My car has been acting up lately. It does this weird lurching thing when I accelerate sometimes. In the past week, it has occurred with greater frequency. Am I the only one that pretends not to notice these little inconveniences in one's life? My relationship with my car is such a unique one. It's so one-sided. The car gives and gives, and I just take and take, for the most part. I try to take good care of it - I take it to the mechanic for regular servicing, I change the oil every 5000 miles, if not sooner. I wash it and clean the trash out of it. I sing to it (okay, that's more singing to myself, if you want to get technical about it) and sometimes I even talk to it, lovingly patting its dash in an encouraging manner. In return, my car has been good to me. Until now. So I did what any self-sufficient woman with limited funds would do in my position: I put more oil in it. You know, lube it up a bit. That's what she said. And believe it or not, so far so good. Lube: Works every time. That's what she said.

• Finally, I'm trying my hand at "That's what she said". How am I doing?

• Oh. And then there's this:

4 comments:

Michael C said...

Ok the video - I'm pretty sure that was George Michael doing a Thriller impersonation.

It has been hot. How hot is it? I don't know, it's just that your puns got me going.

I like the variety post. That random dude might be on to something.

And I'll have to remember the lube hints. And I always preface trivia by calling a CLiff Claven.

This was a great post. That's what he said...

Skeeter said...

If you figure out what causes that lurching car syndrome E., please let me know. My little pickup has done it for years and it's just plain annoying.

Best wishes,
Skeeter

beaniesue said...

Benny Lava is one weird dude! Now I'm going to be singing that at work today *heh*

Matt said...

I love the Variety of the randomness of your post! In the words of Paris Hilton..."That's hot!"

Very useful and yet didn't think I would ever need to know that information about the straw. But now I know!

You did great, and that's what she said!

Always fun, and now informative!