06 May 2008

N is for Norway

Did you know I'm half Norwegian? I know the "sveedish" bit is self-explanatory, but my dad is an Oslo native. I've been there quite a few times in my life, and let me tell you, it is an amazing country. Behold:



I mean, seriously people. Fjords! Imagine standing there seeing it for yourself. The kind of beauty that makes you gasp in awe of nature.

When I was seven, my family moved to Sweden, to a city just west of Stockholm, called Vasteras. During the eighteen or so months that we lived there, we visited my grandparents in southern Sweden often, and we also drove over to Norway to visit his mom and spend time in my dad's cabin that he inherited from his family. It was a tiny rustic cabin with an outhouse and a wood-burning stove that heated the whole cabin. I remember my dad and brother digging a new hole for the outhouse every time we stayed there. I remember dad getting up at 5am to light a fire in the wood stove so that the cabin would be cozy and warm when we all got up later in the morning. I remember the poofy down comforters that we snuggled under when spending a winter vacation there, and I remember our day hikes around the surrounding mountainside picking buckets full of wild blueberries.

My brother and I had a ball at that cabin. Once during a winter visit, it snowed so much that we had to dig ourselves out of the cabin one morning. Cliff and I spent the day digging tunnels in the snow, and little "caves" in the tall snowdrifts against the cabin walls. Like snow forts!

And the buckets of wild blueberries? We would bring them back to the cabin and eat them with cream. Blueberries the size of marbles.

8 comments:

Skeeter said...

That is so cool! Cabin in the snow with blueberries and cream. What fun! The images you choose are brilliant! Can't wait to see the rest of the alphabet.

Best wishes.

Michael C said...

That sounds like a truly wonderful place. And I am now craving blueberries. Reading about wood stoves, snow forts and cabins is really not what I should be doing right before I head to work ;-)

But since I can't be grumpy today, I'll soldier on. But I really want to see a fjord...

Eva said...

skeeter! missed you! are you ever going to post again???

and michael: Happy National Grump Out Day! ;-)

TroyBoy said...

Wow. I can taste those blueberries now. My Granmamere used to grow blueberries and I remember picking them with a half-to-half ratio of how many went in the pail and how many went in my mouth.

Eva said...

troy: we must have attended the same Blueberry Eating University.

and skeeter: i am an idiot - you post all the time, i just mixed you up with someone else because i am an idiot.

TroyBoy said...

So, is "O for Orgasm"?

Eva said...

attention readers of sveedish: please excuse troyboy, whose mind is in the gutter. ;)

sari said...

that picture doesn't look real, it's so beautiful!