20 April 2008

G is for Greatness

"What we do, Miss Ventura, does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling."

Who knew that I would find a deep moment while watching Maid in Manhattan?

This week will mark six months since I filed for divorce from my soon-to-be ex-husband Rob. I really wish that I could put this chapter to rest, but the courts and the attorneys that navigate through them seem in no hurry whatsoever.

I feel like I have worked hard to rise above after my fall. The reason for our split is something I'd rather not publicize in this forum, and it's something that was not within my control. But since our split, I have risen above. I found a life that provides a happy world for my little Boog, and a happy and secure place for me to raise him.

A wise woman told me recently that in order to be a great parent, you have to take care of yourself first. She used the analogy of being in an airplane that is losing air pressure: Put your own oxygen mask on first before placing one on your child. So I am making it a priority to take care of myself. And I am trying to wade through this divorce process with as much grace as I can muster.

I think I'm doing pretty darn good!

That Bob Hoskins is so profound.

3 comments:

sari said...

I think divorce is just tough all around. I'm glad that you're able to feel good about how things are going for you, I know you're trying hard to do the right thing.

Michael C said...

That is a great approach and before you wrote about it, I would have thought it selfish, but it really isn't. I wish you continued success as you move on!!!

Skeeter said...

Sorry that you're having a tough time dear. Keep you chin up, you're great and doing well. You've got nothing to bring you down. Best wishes for you and yours in everything.