09 March 2008

One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest

So I got the flu for the second time in two weeks - so says my doctor. I told her she doesn't know what she's talking about, because of course I have extensive medical training. Well, I'm feeling better now, and now? I must blog.

I've obviously blown the MarBloPoMo deal but I'll jump back on and try to keep the daily habit going.

I mentioned earlier that I left my husband back in October. He is now living about 30 minutes south of me. After picking up the Boog from his apartment today after his weekend visitation, I called him to talk about some custody formalities. He is apparently reading these posts that I write. This feels oddly invasive, which is ridiculous since it's a public weblog and available to anyone with and Internet connection. Do I have to edit my thoughts now? Where's the fun in that?

The immediate issue from this revelation is my mention of having "a nice buzz" last week after my date with my dad. He has decided that this indicates that I might have a drinking problem. This offends me. When he and I got together back in 2004, I gave up alcohol in a display of support for him. He has a history of alcoholism, and to make things easier for him, I thought it would be great to just not have it around. Right? It was an easy gesture that I was happy to make. Now that we are no longer together, the deal is off. I am back to drinking a glass of wine at dinner once a week. If that. And here I am defending myself. Why? Because now I worry that this mention of being buzzed is going to bite me in the ass during our day in court when we argue about custody arrangements.

So I want to pose the questions to my reader (or readers if anyone besides Meigan is reading this, hee hee): Should I edit what I write here? Should I close the blog to the public and just invite people in? And most important of all: Paper or plastic? (Sasha needs not respond to that last one)

5 comments:

purplepassion said...

Ahh...the age old Q. Plastic for cold things and paper for the rest. Now, seriously..I found you thru Sari and you don't kow me from Adam but I will give you the same advice I give my kids (18&15. If you don't want the world to know then don't put it on the net. If it is fit for 'world' consumption and knowledge then fine. Making it private only excludes people like me, who don't know how to get at the info. There are plenty of people out there who are tech and net savvy to get the info off of private pages. Sorry, didn't mean to rant but you 'put it out there'. ;)tough one for you, you need to think about it.

Eva said...

Purplepassion: You are SO right. Thank you for being blunt. It's obviously more important to be private with some areas of my life. I've been torn about whether to write about my experience of late, in case it helps someone in my situation feel less alone. My son's care is the main issue, and I can't do anything to jeopardize that.

Half-Past Kissin' Time said...

That stinks! (that he might be reading it). I know how you feel, because I don't mind sharing lots of stuff with all kinds of strangers, but there are a few people I know whom I would hate reading my blog! There is also a topic I feel an urge to write about, but certain family members would freak out about. However, blogging anonymously (or privately) just wouldn't be as satisfying, so I avoid two topics in particular. See; I'm no help to you at all! My suggestion is to edit (and be stifled) or start over and don't let Him know where to find you.

sari said...

I guess you've gotten some good advice already, but it is true: he knows where your blog is and apparently is not afraid to use it. So you'll have to either privatize or censor yourself. Not fun, I know.

sari said...

PS Paper. But recycle your plastic if you get them - take them to the grocery store!