15 January 2007

Thinking makes my head hurt

Meme #2! The lovely Sari (hi Sari!) has tagged me with a meme. The Thinking Meme! Does that mean that it thinks for itself? Do I sit in a pensive manner with an elbow on my knee, resting my chin on my knuckles?

Ahem.

1. If you had to choose one vice in exclusion of all others, what would it be?

I'm down to few vices in my life. I quit smoking four years ago (hooray, me!) after 15 years of that nasty habit. I quit drinking two years ago with my hubby, since both of us drank enough in our twenties to last the next eighty years. So I guess I would have to say chocolate.

2. If you could change one specific thing about the world, what would it be?

People should remember to be kind and respectful to one another. That isn't happening enough these days. I've witnessed so much unnecessary anger, both in person and in the media. It saddens me. I would change that.

3. Name the cartoon character you identify with the most.

I am ashamed to say I can't think of one. I love cartoons, but at the moment not a single character comes to mind that I identify with.

4. If you could live one day of your life over again, which one would it be?

I would want to repeat the day my son was born. It was such a wonderful day, full of joy and hope and love. I relive that day over and over in my mind often, when I'm having a bad mommy day or just need an injection of happiness.

5. If you could go back in history and spend a day with one person, who would it be?

The first groups of people I thought of were famous important historical figures and celebrities. But since this is a thinking meme, I thunk some more. I would want to go back and spend a day with my old friend Curtis. He wasn't a close friend, but we spent a bit of time together through a mutual friend back in the early 90s. He was found dead in a hotel room in 1995, alone. They think he died of a drug overdose. I want to go back and spend that day with him, telling him that life is important and sometimes hard, but that people care about him and he should take good care of himself so that he is around for all those great days that are ahead.

6. What is one thing you lost, sold or threw away that you wish you had back?

This question is SO apropos to this moment in time! When I got pregnant, I was on a mission to find us a bigger place to live. Our tiny one-bedroom apartment was too small for us and a Boog. So I found a cozy two-bedroom house for rent, close to public transport and shopping. After unpacking and settling into the new place, it was soon discovered that quite a few items meant to be included in our move were instead donated to Goodwill by mistake. Most of the stuff was no big deal: a panini grill we got as a wedding gift, an indoor electric grill for steaks and fish and burgers and stuff, also a wedding gift. Some shoes. But then there was the heartbreaking realization that all of my baby silver (drinking cup, teething ring, egg cup, spoons) seemed to be missing from our boxes of things. And all the tiny ceramic collectible animals and other curios that I collected as a girl were nowhere to be found either. I cried and cried. And then I worked very hard for months to move past it and try to forget about the loss. It was hard, and every so often I would think about those irreplaceable things that I would no longer be able to look at and hold. And I told myself they were just things. Just things. Fourteen months later, I was packing for another move. A box of picture frames that I saved but never used sat in our living room closet on the floor. I pulled it out and emptied it out, one frame at a time, seeing if anything could be parted with to lighten our load. I get to the bottom of the box and I see small balls of newspaper, protecting small, fragile things. My breath caught in my throat as I unwrapped one of the paper balls and saw my silver teething ring. I am telling you, readers, IT MADE THE CHORE OF PACKING UP THE HOUSE WORTHWHILE! WOOHOO!

7. What is your one most important contribution to this world?

I contributed an egg to help create a miraculous little human, namely Mr. Boog, and I know the world will benefit greatly from this contribution.

8. What is your one hidden talent that nearly no one knows about?

I can tie a knot in a cherry stem with my tongue. I know this is supposed to be a sexy parlor trick, but the fact that my dad taught me how negates that. I can also sing along with Mariah Carey's first two albums, word for word, note for note. Except those crazy glass shattering high notes. This talent is a hidden one more out of shame than anything else. I'm a closet Mariah fan. Not anymore, I guess.

9. What is your most cherished possession?

My Pooh bear. He's actually Pooh II. I slept with him every night until well into my teens. He was from Sears, back when they sold Disney Pooh bears with a red felt vest, black plastic eyes and a soft fuzzy nose. My mom loves to tell me the story about how my first Pooh bear was along for a plane ride to Sweden to visit my grandparents when I was five. I befriended a three-year-old on the plane and subsequently gave her my Pooh bear. My mom bought me Pooh II shortly thereafter. He would take baths in the washing machine when he got really grimy. Mom made him a striped shirt after his vest fell apart. He sits on a shelf with our books now, next to my husband's cherished bear, Ted.

10. What one person influenced your life the most when growing up?

Jim Henson. I adored Sesame Street and everything Muppet. Through his creations, he taught me humor, songs, compassion for others, and a love for all things fuzzy.

11. What word describes you better than any other?

squooshy

No tags on this meme. I only have two other blog friends and am too lazy right now to tag them. Perhaps later? I think I should go back and change my answer on #1 to procrastination.

Thanks, Sari, for such a nice thinking exercise. :)

2 comments:

sari said...

I love reading your answers!

I'm glad you found your teething ring, I was so sad for you when I read about it. When Five was little, the video from when he was born was taped over. I was really sad about that as well, because he was a c-section and I was a bit woozy about the details of things. (and it was a family-friendly video, nothing ge-ross).

But...what can you do? I can't believe I forgot to include that in mine.

PS You have THREE internet friends, squooshy.

Disgruntled Owl said...

I wanna be your internet friend ;) We can be Squooshy and Excitable and Goofy (Hi Sari!)