18 November 2006

Day Eighteen - Not a lazy post like the last one.

I am feeling pretty darn cool right now. And I'm giving a big shout out to Sari, because it is all her doing.

You see, I'm new to this blogging thing. Like my site description (or whatever it's called) says, I'm a long time lurker, first time blogger. I started lurking with the queen of them all, Dooce, about two and a half years ago, coincidentally, right after Leta was born. A friend was ripe with child, and had just read Heather's birth story, and sent me the link. I was so entertained that I began reading her archives. And then I started reading others too. I thought it was so cool that they all seemed to know eachother, that they visited them when in town, that they were all brilliant writers who were on panels and round table discussions and such. And the supportive readers with witty insights and comments. I even envied them.

I commented on a particularly funny post one day after probably a year of lurking. That broke the seal, and I felt more comfortable to comment every so often, here and there. I always felt a little self-conscious of the fact that I didn't have a blog of my own to link to in my comments.

I started one in January. I posted once. Something like, "Okay here goes. I'm trying to blog. Let's all pray together that I can be witty on a regular basis, blah, blah, blah.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz." Snoresville. I deleted the blog.

Late October of this year: Mrs. Kennedy comes up with NaBloPoMo and I'm all, "Hey! Here's my chance to really give this a go!" And then I'm all, "My husband's the writer in the family, not me. I don't know if this would work." And then I was all, "I'm going to try my best. I'm fairly funny sometimes. Perhaps it would show in my writing." So I started this site. And then! I got comments! Someone was reading my stuff! Awesome! I think. What if mean people start reading and post mean comments? I put that out of my mind. No sense being all negative.

So the people that comment have found me through the Randomizer, I am assuming. I do the same thing! They've been so nice and I go to their site and read their posts, and they're funny or touching, and I comment too.

So I visit their sites daily now because I feel like they're kind of new friends somehow. And GUESS WHAT? Sari has me on her margin in the list of sites she's "rooting for" in NaBloPoMo. I'm in someone's margin! It's like getting the new phone books all over again!

Thanks for making my day, Sari. I hope your trip to see Father Christmas (get it?) is wonderful and safe.

1 comment:

sari said...

I'm sorry I didn't come and tell you was cheering for you!

I found your blog and I love it. I think you're very funny, and even after this whole NaBloPoMo is over, I will still want to read what you have to say!

So thank you! :-) And keep it up!! You're funny! You're somebody! (The new phonebooks are here!)